SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 3 10:57:42 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:30:51AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >Why does the archive in this day and age of SPAM still show full email
> >addresses for the archived emails.

> I was wondering about that, but it's a bit late for the
> craig at postnewspapers.com.au addr, which is on the POST website and all
> through the PLUG archives.

> No point in my worrying about spam-collecting behaviour now, I already
> get 40+ spam a day. Mozilla spam filtering rocks.

I get about half a dozen spams past my filters using only my own
database of open relays, etc. I do get between 1000 and 2000 (yes,
thousand!) spam attempts per day; most of them deliberately relayed
through my provider's MX which is the secondary for my addresses.

An email address I had in 1989 still gets spammed. It's in the
headers of some spam that gets through.

My father gets at least 10 spams a day. He unwisely "unsubscribed"
from spammers lists and is regularly deluged. I guess he was silly
enough to submit his email address to something that's "free".

Athough I do use filtering on my email (well, I wouldn't be able to
use it at all if I didn't filter), I don't think that's a viable
long-term solution... talk to you MP about the problem. Get it in
their faces to get some European-style opt-in email and PRIVACY
legislation in place so that we can lock up the Oz-based spammers
and prevent the sale of our contact information to thrid parties.
(Such legislation has, in some EU countries, been on the books since
the 1970's! e.g. German Data Protection Act which prohibits the
distribution of your details to a third party without the _owner's_
explicit approval for a specific purpose.)