SPAM and archives (Was: Re: [plug] PHP question..)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 3 11:56:57 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:41:21AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 11:34, Paul Wilson wrote:
> > Onno Benschop wrote:
> > > The solution is to stop SPAM in the first place.
> >
> > How do you propose to do this?
>
> I am not proposing to stop this, I am proposing to start making in
> harder by not archiving the email addresses on the PLUG archive.

Make the archive only readable by PLUG subscribers.

That's easier and less convenient to legitimate subscribers.
Spammers don't bother going through a subscription process that
requires them to provide confirmation by responding (after some
delay) from a legitimate email address and providing a real name and
address.