[plug] Distro Day !!!

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 3 22:19:42 WST 2003

Ok, I'll be in it - its an interesting scenario.  I do have a
restriction in that I work so that may cause a problem for what hours I
can be available, but we'll see how it goes.  I know Garry (saw the
email where he put his name forward for gentoo) and met his mate Joris
last night so between us there should not be too many issues we cannot
solve between us.

Compile time is the biggest issue for Gentoo, and taking too many
shortcuts will not show Gentoo's performance off to its best, which
would be a criticism if you are doing performance tests.  gnome/kde and
OO are the biggest problems here - OO can take 8 hours on a p4-2.2Mhz.
So to get ahead on this I can pre-build the binary packages - can you
let me know the machine hardware and software specs?  Gentoo has a
binary install mode where you can compile packages on another machine
with the wanted options, and then if the new install finds a pre-built
package for one it wants to compile, it will an unpack and install that
instead.

Things that need pining down on the software side are what packages, and
what configuration.  For an apples to apples comparison, things like
filesystem types, partitioning, services running during tests need
laying down. You dont want something like ext 3 trying to compete with a
reiserfs -notail on OO startup and so on.  Other items to consider are
gentoo's ccache and distcc options which would come under "unfair
advantage" - we would need to see whats appropriate and configure
accordingly!