[plug] permissions, samba, ACLs, etc?!

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:14:55 WST 2003

> This can be done with a few directives in the samba config file. You can
> force all users to a single UNIX user for one share, or globally. man
> smb.conf .

When saving to the directory from other computers on the network the smb.conf file works just fine.  However, the samba file server is also one of my main computers and I use it for web browsing and office tasks.  When I save a file to the shared directories it does not go through samba at all, but is directly saved.  smb.conf does not apply because of this.  :-(  I end up with other users having read and execute permissions to dorectories and files, because that's part of the umask for the users when they use this PC, and I want other users to have 0 permissions.

> > Is setting the group ID part even necessary here?  No user needs execute permissions on any of the files because none of them are linux executable scripts.
>
> sgid directories are good for ensuring that all files created in the
> directory have the same gid, regardless of the login gid of the user who
> created the file. This is a good thing to keep for the behaviour that
> you want.

It works when going through samba, but not when creating the files and directories with Mozilla, such as when I create a directory with mozilla for a downloaded file. :-(

> Craig Ringer

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year