[plug] library paths, Debian

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 4 21:50:24 WST 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <5.1.0.14.2.20030704145744.025c61f0 at cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
> on Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 03:35:57PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> > General questions: what sets up the library paths for an
> > application/library and where is that magic smoke located?
>
> The essential ones:
>
> man 8 ld.so
> man 8 ldconfig
>
> (But I've read below, so I know you know about these.)

Yes, I suppose I was hoping there may be some more obscure (to me anyway)
ones.   I can do some comparison testing, comparing the structures on the
(problem child) machine to another of similar config that is working.
Problem being that the working one has a few more bits & pieces so I
cannot be sure I'm really comparing fairly.   None the less if I can
emulate on the problem one, perhaps by dint of symlinks, I may get lucky
and learn, into the bargain.   Once I know what's going on, I can nuke and
do a fresh no-errors-or-mistakes (tm) installation :-)

> Ideas:
>
> (1) "Missing library" implies that something is being compiled and
> linked as part of its creation, or you have a pre-compiled binary that
> is linking as part of its runtime. Either way, `man 1 ldd` and also see
> what Craig wrote about this a couple of days ago (look in archive for
> "Moving an older app).

Thanks, will look it up, now that you come to refresh my mind.

> (2) A lot of free software makes assumptions about the operating system
> (i.e. that it's the same as the developer's). So, if the problem was
> during compilation, then you may just have a bad ./configure file.

Point taken.  This is P'SQL 7.3.3, the first of the .3 series I'm using.
Previous experience with 7.2.x was smooth.  I see their config.log file
formats are different, so maybe there's a lesson there.

> (3) Is a volume mounted with 'noexec' mount option or something else
> that's odd. (Though if it was, you'd probably get a lot more errors than
> this! :)

As you say, I should see tonnes more errors.   Worth a check though.

> (4) You have some shell variable set by accident (e.g. pre-existing
> errors in PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or whatnot).

Well an echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH shows null on both the "good" machine and
this one.   $PATH looks reasonable.

Thanks, will do checks as above.
Regards,
Denis