[plug] Recovering from munged permissions

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jul 5 09:19:37 WST 2003

In message <20030704172426.GE980 at erdos.home>
on Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:24:26AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | ls -v seemed to do the trick for me. "Sort by version". Go figure :)
>
> Cheers!  God knows /why/ it works but it does.  Time to add that to my
> ls alias...

Yeah, -v is something that's great to use on a regular basis.
(Though, if you have read below, you might wonder why LC_NUMERIC
is not set to cause this effect.)

In message <20030704172325.GD980 at erdos.home>
on Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:23:25AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> It seems as though setting LANG to anything but C does this (e.g. en_GB,
> en_US, fr_FR).  Why?  WHY????

With regards to upper/lowercase, I suspect `ls` is sorting according to
the language's dictionary sorting order (which usually
case-insensitive). I think that simply means GNU ls has caught up with
POSIX. With regards to .* files being mixed in,...argh...bad defaults.

Here is a list of variables (mostly from `man 7 locale` and `man 7
environ` on Debian) that might affect the problem:

LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY LC_MESSAGES
LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL

Perhaps try using your preferred LANG but have LC_COLLATE=C permanently
(and check for any other LC_* variables in your current environment).
Although the LANG handling is a "feature", having dot files mixing in by
default is an abomination for right-minded individuals ;) and should
probably be reported before someone gets a bad reputation.