[plug] Connection tracking (was: TEST)

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 12:00:41 WST 2003

> Curious for my own benefit if I even have this
happen
> to me ... would having iptables and all it's cronies
> compiled as modules have allowed that table to be
> cleared by unloading the module? Or did you have
them
> all as modules and tried that too?

Nope, tried that. From memory the "rmmod ip_conntrack"
process just sat there in an unkillable state (being
kernel related, I suppose), munching up a fair chunk
of CPU but not really slowing the machine down
noticably. (Nor was it clearing out the connection
table; the count was the same.) In any event, an
unrecoverable scenario aside from a reboot from what
we could see.

I don't know if attaching gdb to the running rmmod
would reveal anything interesting, but I wasn't
inclined to test it (wanted to get back online), and
I'm even less inclined now :)

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett