[plug] OpenOffice and Elite Central

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jul 6 15:16:43 WST 2003

> I'd say it's at least significantly better in other comparisons as well
> given decent XML based file formats and the ability to work with a much
> wider ranges of data sources and databases such MySQL and PostgreSQL.

They can both handle any database for which an ODBC driver is available.
OO.o under windows can use /any/ DB that MS Office can use, and vice
versa - except possibly databases with broken SQL that MS office allows
for.

I've barely used Office's DB access system (it being an expensive
add-on) but the OO.o one works fairly well. Needs some work handing
auto-incrementing fields and creating tables but data access is perfect.

Craig Ringer