[plug] Distro Day !!!

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 6 20:06:21 WST 2003

Ok, I like this process ...

gentoo-sources vs default debian and default Mandrake.
("http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml")

Gentoo to have standard kernel features switched on where they exist and
make snce from a performance point of view.

Leave ccache and distcc off, but turn on object-prelinking to match
Mandrake. ("http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml" - there are
some details on the web that Mandrake 9.0 is prelinked, but I cannot
find a definitive source)  I agree with gnome, I switched some years
back, and other than occaisional pangs for the eye candy, have stayed
with it.  It is easy on all 3 OS's to install kde though, so if a kde
specific test pops up, we can do it as well.

Gnome desktop
OO
gnumeric
gimp

Try not to install more than this - Mandrake will be a bit of work here
I expect.

Compilers: stick with gcc (gentoo is using 3.2.2 at this time) - you
mirror my thoughts on icc, but then I am am AMD person at the moment!

Another test: kernel compile for a vanilla kernel (vanilla to minimize
patch differences etc)  Staring from a "make mrproper", configure the
same options (we dont need to actually use it!) and use "make dep;make
bzimage;make modules;", timing it as we go.

BillK