[plug] cucipop mail splitting and other oddities

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Jul 8 09:48:06 WST 2003

This is just some info incase anyone else sees these problems in the
future.

I've been using cucipop (Cubic Circle's POP3 server) for years without
incident.  Recently on the sendmail servers at work it has been
'splitting' emails.  It mostly affected *some* emails from IDG news
mailing lists and the occasional regular email and would show up as two
messages in email clients.  The first with complete and correct headers
and the first few lines of the messages and then another with NO headers
(totally blank list entry) containing the rest of the message.  I blamed
evolution at first, then others noticed it in Outlook.

I upgraded and downgraded cucipop without any change to the situation.

I was thinking for a while it was MailScanner mangling the emails as I
have it set to convert dangerous HTML to plain text etc.  Then on the
weekend clients who 'leave mail on the server' reported they were
receiving the same emails everytime they checked their mail, cucipop was
not flagging them as read.

I removed cucipop and installed qpopper, and both problems were fixed.

I've used qpopper before in the past according to a qpopper SSL howto I
wrote (http://slowest.net/docs/howtos/mail/qpopper-ssl.html), but I
can't actually remember using it :)

Evidently this may be something to do with the installation I have
(Debian) conflicting in some way with cucipop, but now you know.

The servers are running Debian sarge + pinch of sid, sendmail 8.12.6-7
and MailScanner 4.20

Ryan