[plug] re: server freezing

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jul 9 09:56:51 WST 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:23:02 +0800 Bernard Blackham
<bernard at blackham.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 06:36:31PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> > from a workstation in the office and left that connected.  The
> > server has not locked.  I will leave it for another 24 hrs to see
> > if locking occurs.
>
> Leave top running with an update speed of 0 (continuously) - either
> from the ssh session or on the console, in case a particular process
> is causing the hassle and you just might catch it :)
>
> Have you done anything like enabling DMA or similar recently?

I haven't been following this thread (and so it may have been mentioned)
but there was an issue like this where a bad 3d module and a 3d screen
saver enabled and froze systems. If you have have X on the server, and
someone has made the screensaver "gah way" by setting it to "screensave in
a day" then it would explain the symptom. Or you've been feverishly
observing the box and then turned your back for five minutes ..

I know, I know, it's a longer than long shot ..

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2004		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/	12-17 January 2004, Adelaide, South Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/