[plug] making xfree86 4.3 deb file for sarge

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jul 9 15:14:58 WST 2003

Hello All,
I know I can install with a script, but I hesitated as I didn't know how
to uninstall or remove xfree86 afterwards ...

So I am trying to do an xfree86 4.3 source to deb file to install so I
can remove easily if needed:

from
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/26/2003/06/3/66557

I read
deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./
and added it to sources.list, update upgrade then

I made a directory for the download to go in and within that:
apt-get -b source xfree86

All seemed to be successfully downloaded then:
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: (Use -d flag to override.)
Build command 'cd xfree86-4.3.0 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
E: Child process failed.

I tried the -d and this also bombed, presumably because the source is
meant for sid (no sarge available, but I thought I might be ok if from
source).

Can I make a successful deb file direct from original xfree86.org full
source?

Any pointers would be great.
Thanks very much,
Daniel.