[plug] acrobat reader and UTF locales

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 9 19:16:45 WST 2003

Hi folks

I've run into a bit of an issue with Acrobat Reader that's clearly been
known since RH8 and Acrobat Reader 5.0.6 (according to the Adobe kbase
article) but not fixed. Basically, Acrobat Reader 5.0.x die when faced
with a unicode locale. As a workaround - that works properly even when
embedding the acrobat reader within a browser using the plugin - simply
put the following script somewhere earlier in your PATH than the actual
acroread binary ($HOME/bin for example):

#!/bin/bash
LC_ALL=C /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread $*

this way all your other apps can retain a useful UTF-8 locale, while
somewhat braindead apps like acrobat reader can be cleanly run.

There is unfortunately no useful suggestion of a script on Adobe's
website, so I'm going to (try to) contact them about it.

Craig Ringer