boot times and software suspend (Was: Re: [plug] Distro Day !!!)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jul 10 11:32:07 WST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:29:25AM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> >Although I uspect not many distros even attempt
> >to optimise boot time, should be interesting jsut to see.
>
> I doubt that it's very useful - one of Linux's boasts is that you hardly
> ever have to reboot. If you reboot once a week, it hardly matters whether
> it takes 1 minute or 5 minutes. Just my $0.02.

And then there's software suspend... the equivalent of hibernation
for linux. It's nearly approaching a 1.0 (aka stable!) release! The
latest version (1.0pre17) has been rock solid on my machine (left it
going overnight in a loop).

Suspend in 25 seconds, resume in about 20 (from kernel booting -
BIOS takes about 30 seconds to chug through :( ).

Recommended that everybody gives it a shot :)

I'm currently pulling together the website for it, so the
information will be a little more coherent soon!

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham