boot times and software suspend (Was: Re: [plug] Distro Day !!!)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 10 12:17:23 WST 2003

> Oh, there's a few things that won't work with swsusp at the moment -
> SCSI drives, SMP, and the occasional nvidia chipset/driver. (But
> seriously, who's laptops have SCSI or SMP? :)

Perhaps, but swsusp is not only for laptops. Suspend to disk is
incredibly useful for desktops, and IMHO is the most convenient and
useful form of suspending a machine out there (at least when the OS
supports it well).

SMP support for swsusp will begin to matter soon (probably even on
laptops) once the SMT (HyperThreading) Intel CPUs become more
commonplace. These are, after all, virtual SMP machines. That said, I
fear the answer will likely be "turn off SMT".

IMHO SCSI suspend/resume does also matter, since most RAID devices
(including a number of ATA/SATA ones) appear to the OS as a SCSI
interface. I don't know about you folk, but I'm tired of crappy
unreliable disks (no I don't buy cheap ones, nor the highest capacity on
the market - in fact I buy middle-high capacity "premium" ATA disks) and
plan to include proper hardware SATA RAID in my next upgrade. The
alternative, SCSI drives, is stupidly expensive and also won't work with
swsusp. Then again, hopefully the SCSI + swsusp issue will be fixed by 2.6 .

Craig