[plug] client-server e-mail query system?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 16:25:22 WST 2003

At 16:01 10/07/2003 +0800, Ryan wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:27, Denis Brown wrote:
><snip>
> > Ryan - thanks, Horde IMP3 is sounding close.   You say it's an LAMP
> > app?   I can see a bit of candle-burning going on by me tonight!
>
>LAMP - Linux Apache MySQL PHP/Perl

Sorry, I should have been more clear... yes LAMP = Linux, Apache, etc as
you said.   My ? was an expression of pleasant surprise because I
recognised the elements of what I thought would comprise my
"solution".   As it turns out I lean more towards "LAPP" (PostgreSQL) but...

>Irrespective of that, installing  Horde2 from the debian packages is a
>complete abomination.  You've been warned.   In the last release you had
>to create extra files and modify PHP declaration structures to make it
>work - and you had to figure that out for yourself.  The packages are
>very very close to working, but getting them that extra little step is a
>long process if you are new to it.

Thanks for the tip-off.  I tend to be a compile-from-source guy regardless
of deb availability, at least for the major apps like Apache, PHP, PgSQL,
etc so I'd probably have gone the source route anyway.   Of the packages
I've installed in the past, I can't say that I've had any grief using debs
but I haven't been too adventurous (eg. not yet Horde).

>I'd suggest you install it completely from the packages available on the
>horde website.  If you need help I can probably assist.

Thanks; I hope you won't regret saying that :-)

Cheers,
Denis