[plug] re: user access to public_html

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Jul 15 13:21:03 WST 2003

In setting up a webserver I would like to give users the ability to create their webpage.
In their /home/username there is a public_html directory.
In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I have the following:
UserDir disable
UserDir enable username

Also in the httpd.conf I have the following for a read only access.

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

The problem is when the user tries to access this they get the following:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~sstone/test.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.40 Server at 192.168.1.16 Port 80

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  I've also had a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby