[plug] Sending mail from command line

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 15 17:22:18 WST 2003

In message <008801c34aab$15dc2d80$0400a8c0 at trendwhore>
on Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 04:28:34PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> Yeh, when I used the command piped with another it seemed to not need ^D.

Yeah, most people are clever enough to put it together; I guess it's one
of those UNIX idioms like "what do I use to join parts of files created
by `split`"?

> However, ifconfig | grep P-t-P | mail -s "ip address" my at mail.com seems to
> provide no message in the body.

You could do something like ( ifconfig | grep P-t-P ) 2>&1 | mail so
that you receive error messages (stderr), too. (PS. Sorry if the above
is inelegant, I was trying to make something that would work in bash
(without learning bash syntax).