[plug] Sending mail from command line

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 15 22:07:45 WST 2003

Daniel Pearson wrote:
> No, i'm not exactly sure it knows where to send mail, the mailserver is
> running on the DMZ but whether or not it would know thats the server to use
> ... how would I go about checking that?

Look at your mail server config on the host you're running 'mail' on and
make sure it's using the correct smarthost (usually your ISP's mail
server) or is configured to send mail directly. Many distros provide
useful tools for checking this.

Read the mail server logs.

Use 'mailq' to see if you've got frozen messages in the queue, and if so
use the server logs to determine why they're underliverable.

Craig Ringer