[plug] Que? Kernel panics during install?

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Wed Jul 16 17:56:26 WST 2003

Hi,

Today I tried installing Suse 8.2 on a P4 2.4/1024/40 server. All would be
just swell until it came to between 11% and 25% the way through the install
and then there would be a kernel panic and things wouldn't go any further. I
tried a variety of install packages from a custom selection to minimal (no
gui) selection always with the same result (actually, tell a lie, on the
first occasion it spat the dummy when it came across a dodgy "terminfo"
package and I tried to reinstall it). I don't know how to debug this and was
wondering if anyone had come across such strange behaviour.

I've installed using the same disks on 3 PCs and 2 laptops so far without any
major dramas. But I did notice today that the first disk did seem to have
scratches on it. Could this be a problem?

Any suggestions?

ta very much,
sol