[plug] X11 performance under RH8/9

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jul 19 18:03:49 WST 2003

Hi all

I've been noticing that my system's performance isn't overly good under
RH9 as compared to either Debian 3 or Win2k. I've now narrowed it down
to the X server, which will eat 50% to 75% of my CPU time under some loads.

As an example, a maximised gnome-terminal displaying the output of a
compile job will use more CPU time than the compilation. Screen res is
1600x1200, driver is NVdriver, system is a 1.5GHz (1800+) athlon with a
GeForce4 Ti4200 and ~750mb of RAM.

I'm confused. I can only think that it's the font AA/XRENDER stuff
that's taking up the CPU time, but that's ridiculous. My 1.5GHz athlon
should not be visibly redrawing mozilla windows (gtk2/xft mozilla RPMs) etc.

Ideas anybody?

Craig Ringer