[plug] X11 performance under RH8/9

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jul 19 18:51:44 WST 2003

> | As an example, a maximised gnome-terminal displaying the output of a
> | compile job will use more CPU time than the compilation.
>
> I see this with Konsole on Debian if AA fonts are enabled.  (A Duron 800
> BTW, which should be more than grunty enough to run a bleedin' terminal
> emulator!)

I've found out how to kill AA fonts entirely if needed:

in ~/.fonts.conf or /etc/local.conf you have:

<match target="font">
     <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
         <bool>false</bool>
     </edit>
</match>

Unfortunately, it really is ugly :-( and not really a solution. There's
just no reason why AA fonts should tax a 1.5GHz CPU.

Craig Ringer