[plug] Leaving list

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Jul 21 15:47:29 WST 2003

At this stage I'm not recommending that Kevin look at satellite
services, but Chris' response requires some clarification IMHO.

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 15:38, Chris Caston wrote:
> Try satellite. According to the Bigpong website you can get it anywhere
> Aust wide.

There are many other providers of both one and two way satellite
services - I *strongly* recommend that if anyone goes down this route
they investigate others as well...

> The latency is probably rather low, however, unless they've setup low
> orbit satellites which I doubt.

Hmm, I'm guessing you mean "rather high", because you're talking about
delay. There are no LEO satellites with Internet connectivity other than
those launched by Iridium - which currently only provide 9600 Baud and a
"compressed" version that gives you "up to 14400", but that's really
just because you use their special compression proxy server which gets
the page, squashes it, then sends it to you via 9600 Baud.

The latency isn't that bad for "normal" satellites, my latency right now
to plug.linux.org.au is on average 890ms, which is more than I'd like,
but fine for email, web, and ftp. I even find that ssh is quite usable
and I've run VNC over the satellite with no problems.

If you want to play a game online, then I guess this may be an issue,
but I never have, so I don't care...

Cheers,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..