[plug] [OT-ish] Interesting parallel to Linux

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Jul 21 19:42:04 WST 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:23:56 +0800 "John Knight" <anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, Harry, one of the most interesting links I've followed for
> a long time. :)
> John (tomato)

np Mr Tomatoe. Happy to oblige *doffs cap* :-)

Yes, the parallel is interesting. The embedded guys from watches to car
engine control want the flexibility to modify the source to their needs.
Sounds familiar.

If you haven't read this because of the [OT] tag, I encourage a quick scan.

I like Sakamura-san's reflection on his contribution to technology:

"It's not good to charge people for using something which is like a social infrastructure," he said.
"It also inhibits the development of the computer industry.
"The very basic infrastructure should be free.

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2004		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/	12-17 January 2004, Adelaide, South Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/