[plug] failing adsl connection

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue Jul 22 11:48:37 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> If your DSL modem has a PPPoE client in it, it'll most likely be doing
> this job it's self. If not, the router/gateway host doesn't need to
> worry when it comes to it's own net connection, since it knows the
> desired MTU. However, if you have clients connected to the
> router/gateway that makes the initial PPPoE connection, you'll need to
> be ensuring that packets get fragmented properly or setting a lower
> MTU on the clients. RP-PPPoE's config will handle the fragmentation
> stuff for you, so you generally don't have to worry. Not unless you
> encounter (say) an FTP server that DROPS PACKET FRAGMENTS (yes I've
> seen this) - which is pretty rare and falls in the category of 'what
> are you ON?!!'

This sounds exactly like the problem that I was experiencing. I took
responsibility for pppoe away from the modem because I thought I needed
the gateway to handle pppoe in order to do IP forwarding. That's why (I
now realise) I started having the error messages and flaky connection.
When I allowed the modem to handle the connection and figured out how to
do IP forwarding with the modem handling pppoe the problem was solved.

I think... :-\

cheers; sol

--
Sol Hanna