[plug] re: kernel -smp conflict

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 22 23:10:57 WST 2003

Thanks, Cameron.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:32:53PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
>
> | I'm a bit confused here... if rpm's are like deb's, they manage
> | dependencies, right?   For "normal" applications and applets I can
> | understand the benefits of creating rpm's (or deb's) so they can be
> | applied to differing configurations.   But since a kernel is so intimately
> | tied with the hardware on which it will run - unless there are gross
> | inefficiencies trying to match all possible hardware - what is the benefit
> | of having a kernel done up in an rpm?
>
> I would imagine much the same as having one done up in .deb with
> make-kpkg: you can compile it on a fast machine and shift it onto a slow
> and/or compiler-less machine trivially.
>
> Cameron.

I dips me lid.  I had been thinking in terms of compiling a kernel and
modules on a foreign machine (ie. a faster one than the target machine)
and manually moving it to the target, installing the module(s) in the
appropriate area, organising GRUB or LILO config files, etc.   I can see
that the deb (or rpm) method eliminates a lot of drudgery.   Thanks!

Cheers,
Denis