[plug] Realtek NIC and SuSE

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Wed Jul 23 10:21:21 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 23/07/2003 10:16 AM
-----

                      Bernd Felsche
                      <bernie at innovative.ii        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      net.net.au>                  cc:
                                                   Subject:  Re: [plug] Realtek NIC and SuSE
                      23/07/2003 09:40 AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 07:56:10AM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:

>> Any more ideas, guys? Checked last night and SuSE was loading the
>> 8139too driver, but it wasn't working. Ifconfig shows more-or-less
>> what one would expect for eth0.

>Does /var/log/messages indicate the driver recognizing the NIC?
>Does "dmesg" ?

I'll check this evening. Of course, I *should* have checked last night, but
I decided to try Mandrake after fiddling with SuSE for an hour or so.

What makes this PC even more interesting to debug is that I have no way of
copying anything off it. I decided to be clever and leave out things like
diskette drives, so I have to boot into a Linux that works to get anything
copied to the machine I do my mailing from.

RichardM