[plug] Broadcom 10/100 support for ASUS A7V8X

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 23 16:52:46 WST 2003

> I'm looking at the ASUS A7V8X m'board and wondering if anyone has good/bad
> experiences with it. I understand a driver exists for the 2.4 kernel for
> the Broadcom 10/100 network chip. Is anyone using the board ?

There is a driver for it, but I rarely hear good things about the
broadcom chip. I don't know if it's early-days driver issues, early
hardware implementations, or what. Come to think of it, it may only be
the 10/100/1000 broadcom that has issues.

> Any advice gratefully accepted :)

It's KT400 so it's well supported by kernel 2.4.20 and above. I've got a
server running on an earlier Asus KT400 board, so I can't see any show
stoppers.

Depending on the chipset, the SATA support may or may not suck. It could
well be bridged ATA133->SATA (an ATA133 controller with an SATA
connector, basically) which is less than stellar, esp wrt to hot swap
etc. If you don't care about the SATA, it can be easily ignored :-)

Otherwise it looks like a pretty standard KT400 board, so I can't see
any issues. That with an Athlon 2000+ and 256mb of RAM will be such
overkill for a firewall that it's disgusting, but what the hell. I don't
know about you, but I'd be using that as my desktop and retiring my old
desktop to the role of gateway box.

Craig Ringer

Craig Ringer