[plug] telnet server question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 23 21:45:49 WST 2003

> It does look like that, doesn't it? I find /bin/false fairly annoying
> for use with real users because it doesn't give you any diagnositic
> messages (basically, it looks like you've logged in briefly but had
> you hand lying on CNTL-D).

It would be nice to have an app that tested for $DISPLAY, and if present
used [xg]message to pop up a notice about 'login denied' or otherwise
just echo it to stderr and wait for a keypress.

Shouldn't be too hard to do up as a shell script....

In the end, though, that's closer to allowing the user to log in than I
want to go. '/bin/false' users (usually daemons, etc) are unlikely to
log in normally anyway.

Craig Ringer