[plug] telnet server question

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 08:20:13 WST 2003

In message <3F1F238B.4090508 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:08:43AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> How will this handle graphical logins over XDMCP though? That is what
> most of our users here are using, and anything that just prints to
> stderr will no doubt show up as an unexplained sudden exit anyway.

Prints to stdout and exits non-zero. I'm not sure what that would do or
not do for you.

> What I'd really like would be for [gkx]dm to check /etc/shells and
> compare the list of allowed login shells therein to the user's login
> shell. If the user's login shell is not included in the list of allowed
> login shells, it should print a nice warning explaining that, sorry, you
> can't log in. Problem solved before the user even authenticates (though
> I think I'd want it do do this only after validating their password, to
> prevent easy scanning for 'special' users).

Good idea! Perhaps it would be pretty easy? For example, people can in
general run shells or graphic dialogues to enter SSH passphrases (after
logging in but before the desktop loads). If you run a dead-end
programme (which does some string matching, then displays and alert and
an 'OK' button, and perhaps has a timeout) instead, they would get the
message and then be logged out. Maybe this would merely require a line
to be inserted into an Xblah file somewhere?