[plug] telnet server question

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 09:09:03 WST 2003

In message <3F1F2B2B.60004 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:41:15AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> That said, I'd prefer a solution integrated into the login manager, so
> that rather than starting a login session, if the user correctly
> authenticates but has an invalid shell it displays a message.

Like you said, it gives you more 'loggin in' that you really want.
Sounds like you can like without it and would rather wait for
something integrated into your login manager.

> Much cleaner than having the session appear to start, only to pop up a
> message - and I'm also much happier not having the user's X session
> begin AT ALL, just in case.

Well...I would have imagined that you could start X without reading user
config (and without running a window manager, of course) combined if you
like with the use of a chrooted or setuid situation (making sure that
the app has permission to use the relevant display) in order to get
something working with any login method (i.e. any login manager or
command-line login) before figuring out how to hack the login manager.

Also, some window managers will display textual output at the login
prompt...maybe yours is configured not to? I'm not really familiar
with graphical login managers.