[plug] Re: RFCs

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 18:29:07 WST 2003

In message <3F2103E1.1080806 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 06:18:09PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> fetch the LDAP RFCs.

BTW it is possible to rsync the RFCs. I use:
rsync -avz --delete ftp.rfc-editor.org::rfcs-text-only RFC

(Needless to say, syncing RFCs makes me all the more
fond for `unison` ;)

Anyway, that gives me a local RFC mirror which is accessible via FTP (or
local filesystem, when I'm using the mirror host). I have a shell alias
named 'rfc' that expands to

ncftpget -c ftp://.../mirror/RFC/rfc$@.txt | less

Then, I can enter `rfc 666` to access RFC 666 as plain text.
As a side-effect, I can use `rfc -index` so access the index,
which is either "cool" or "sad" (please don't tell me which).
I'm sure there are also a few HTML renditions of the RFCs
with hyperlinks to boot.