[plug] Jabber and system status

Weirdo linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 26 14:26:24 WST 2003

As a keen user of jabber and interested in the capabilities of it, I was
wondering if there is a way to get Linux to send system status updates and
error messages to the admin through jabber.
All it would need to do is send a message to the admin and not start a
chat, that way when the admin is offline it will just queue the message for
him. I'm guessing the computer would need its own account and would just
send an xml message to the server containing the server info.
The Info I would look at being sent would be uptime/user load, current
connections (output of pinky), As well as a shutdown/reboot message to all
online users (using the broadcast feature) and a message to the admin at
system startup. Also all the subject lines of all error messages normally
sent to the admin(root) by email.
If anyone has ideas of how to set this up please tell me.
Thanks
Tim
p.s. Got a good jabber client for Linux that competes with TipicIM? Please
tell me ;)
p.p.s. Got a command line jabber client that could be used to acoumplish
the above ^^, please tell me ;)

weirdo at linuxalien.tk
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a free .tk domain please contact me

ICQ# 255176389
MSN weirdo at linuxalien.tk

Riverton, Perth, WA