[plug] Set HOLD on a package

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Jul 29 21:51:59 WST 2003

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/ch-package.en.html#s-hold

3.4.6 Holding older packages

For example, holding of libc6 and libc6-dev for dselect and apt-get -u
upgrade package can be done as follows:

     # echo -e "libc6 hold\nlibc6-dev hold" | dpkg --set-selections

apt-get -u install package will not be hindered by this "hold". To hold
a package through forcing automatic downgrade for apt-get -u upgrade
package or apt-get -u dist-upgrade, add the following to
/etc/apt/preferences:

     Package: libc6
     Pin: release a=stable
     Pin-Priority: 2000

Here the "Package:" entry cannot use entries such as "libc6*". If you
need to keep all binary packages related to the glibc source package in
a synchronized version, you need to list them explicitly.

The following will list packages on hold:

     dpkg --get-selections "*"|grep -e "hold$"

--

You can also supposedly use aptitude to do it, but that program annoys
me.

Ryan