[plug] cannot ping internet from desktops

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Jul 31 14:17:50 WST 2003

What Richard said, plus some simple checks with traceroute (mtr-tiny is
better) or ping -R or *anything*.

Plus this might be worth noting for a few people, and in this case if
the gateway has iptables, it may help.  Playing with shorewall managed
iptables rules will plrobably cause some problems, oh well, here goes...

I have the following at the end of my iptables script to show anything
that hits the default chain policies.  I have default DROP policies for
everything and then explicitly ACCEPT or REJECT (ident, sport:80 things
etc) handle specific things, thus anything that makes it past those I
want to know about:

# set up log chain with prefixes for protocols
$iptables -N LOG_DROP
$iptables -A LOG_DROP -p tcp -j LOG --log-prefix "TCP drop: "
--log-level=info
$iptables -A LOG_DROP -p udp -j LOG --log-prefix "UDP drop: "
--log-level=info
$iptables -A LOG_DROP -p icmp -j LOG --log-prefix "ICMP drop: "
--log-level=info
$iptables -A LOG_DROP -f -m limit --limit 1/s -j LOG --log-prefix "FRAG
drop: " --log-level=info
$iptables -A LOG_DROP -j DROP

then in /var/log/messages i get things like this

(s/h4x0ring fodder/x/g):

Jul 31 13:53:06 wind-tunnel kernel: UDP drop: IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:00:08:e3:20:f3:85:08:00 SRC=144.135.25.84
DST=x.x.x.x LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=111 ID=59179 PROTO=UDP SPT=137
DPT=137 LEN=58
Jul 31 13:53:08 wind-tunnel kernel: UDP drop: IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:00:08:e3:20:f3:85:08:00 SRC=144.135.25.84
DST=x.x.x.x LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=111 ID=62696 PROTO=UDP SPT=137
DPT=137 LEN=58

It will therefore also log attempts by internal hosts to get out if they
are denied, this is handy to identify things I forgot to allow or see
what people are 'trying' to do on the network.

It works for me! (tm)

Ryan

*blank stare* I still haven't figured out the intriguing top post 're:'
virus your email client has.  Can you enlighten me?