[plug] dhcp networking

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Jul 31 20:42:38 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:53, Ryan Smith wrote:
> hello
>
> I have a debian box with dhcp installed. and i was wondering how to
> write a script for my debian client so when my server is turned off it
> will still have an ip so it can access the rest of my network.
> does anyone have any sujestions on how i might go about this?

I'm in a similar situation - and I solved it with aliased interfaces. In
the interfaces file in /etc/networks/ you can setup an interface for a
dynamic address and create another aliased interface with a static one
like this:

        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet dhcp

        auto eth0:1
        iface eth0:1 inet static
        	address 192.168.101.222
        	netmask 255.255.255.0
        	network 192.168.101.0
        	broadcast 192.168.101.255

I must confess that I use this not for the stated purpose, but because I
only have one ethernet interface that needs to provide me with internet
connectivity and the rest of my computers with a gateway to the
internet, but for the purposes of your query it will work fine.

Also, you could cheat and install a DHCP server on your own computer,
which will in fact answer queries from itself - having found this out
the hard way :-( -  but if you go down that line you're on your own
because multiple DHCP servers is a nightmare waiting to happen...

Anyway - food for thought...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus C1 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..