[plug] Problem solved- Sylpheed E mail program works!

Barry Cugley barryc at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 01:29:02 WST 2003

Hello PLUG members

Prior to attending last Monday night's meeting the situation was that after starting up pon, Netscape was able to roam the web but Sylpheed (an E mail program) was not abe to find my ISP.
How could this be?

It seems the problem was that pppconfig was not configured with the correct primary and secondary DNS numbers. I had assumed that pppconfig must be right since Netscape's connection to the internet must rely on pppconfig. However, it seems this is not true! The DNS numbers configured into Netscape overcame the problem of incorrect DNS numbers in pppconfig. So Netscape worked fine. However, Sylpheed does rely on pppconfig being set up properly and since pppconfig had not been given the correct DNS numbers Sylpheed was was not able to connect to the ISP.

Since changing the DNS numbers in pppconfig Sylpheed has worked fine.

Particular thanks goest o Burney (I hope thats spelt right) for solving this problem.