[plug] KDE / Debian desktop-link question

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 11:15:54 WST 2003

Dear Plug gurus,

When I run a simple floppy mount or unmount script from an icon on KDE
desktop, there is a lot of activity from the floppy drive (for mounting)
and the KDE "I am busy!" egg timer keeps running for 15, maybe 20
seconds.  Executing a mount (umount) from a Konsole completes in no time at
all.   Why and what is going on during the "busy" time?   The reason for
doing things this way is to avoid the need for non-technical people to deal
with command-line sessions.

My scripts are:
#!/bin/sh
mount /floppy    (and of course umount /floppy as appropriate)

In fstab I set the floppy mounting option to "users" so any user can
perform the mounting/unmounting.

On the KDE desktop I right-click and create a new application icon, linked
to the appropriate script.

If I run top in a Konsole, I can see the mount (umount) process flick up
and then off again but there's nothing - to me - abnormal or significant
about any other process that's running during the extended "busy" activity,
at least none that make top's "top 20" tasks, anyway.

Platform:  KDE 3.1.2 and Debian GNUI/Linux woody with 2.4.19 kernel.

Thoughts appreciated!
Denis