[plug] Bochs + Plex86

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 4 00:01:02 WST 2003

Hello,

Looks like something interesting has happened with plex86 packages in sid.

I just upgraded and am looking at the following test in the Debian configuration:

Plex86 userland component, which is mostly based on Bochs code, has not been replaced in
Debian to use the Bochs emulator natively.

Among other advantages, this represents a gain in:

- emulation / virtualisation speed
- smaller executable size
- new GUI (GTK+ and SDL, see bochs-wx and bochs
-sdl)
-more extended device support

OK

This just may be what I posted here before in regards to:

Or plex86 can be used to accelerate bochs, by executing user code inside the plex86 VM,
while letting bochs execute kernel code and IO functionality inside the emulator.   This is
useful for executing binary-only OSes, and ones without the simple mods noted above.   This
was also demonstrated recently(2).

Or plex86 can be used to accelerate bochs, by executing user code inside the plex86 VM,
while letting bochs execute kernel code and IO functionality inside the emulator.   This is
useful for executing binary-only OSes, and ones without the simple mods noted above.   This
was also demonstrated recently(2).

source: plex86.sf.net

If I can get a copy of Windows running inside this beast and at a usable speed then I may
never need to boot into Windows again...... famous last words..

regards,

Chris Caston