[plug] Bochs + Plex86

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 4 00:09:49 WST 2003

Quoting caston at arach.net.au:

> Hello,
>
> Looks like something interesting has happened with plex86 packages in sid.
>
> I just upgraded and am looking at the following test in the Debian
> configuration:
>
> Plex86 userland component, which is mostly based on Bochs code, has not been
> replaced in
> Debian to use the Bochs emulator natively.
>
> Among other advantages, this represents a gain in:
>
> - emulation / virtualisation speed
> - smaller executable size
> - new GUI (GTK+ and SDL, see bochs-wx and bochs
> -sdl)
> -more extended device support
>
> OK
>
> This just may be what I posted here before in regards to:
>
> Or plex86 can be used to accelerate bochs, by executing user code inside the
> plex86 VM,
> while letting bochs execute kernel code and IO functionality inside the
> emulator.   This is
> useful for executing binary-only OSes, and ones without the simple mods noted
> above.   This
> was also demonstrated recently(2).
>
> Or plex86 can be used to accelerate bochs, by executing user code inside the
> plex86 VM,
> while letting bochs execute kernel code and IO functionality inside the
> emulator.   This is
> useful for executing binary-only OSes, and ones without the simple mods noted
> above.   This
> was also demonstrated recently(2).
>
> source: plex86.sf.net

Both Windows and Linux tend to have slight problems with cut and paste not always working
oh well.

oh and the second one should have been:

2. I released a proof-of-concept tarball of a bochs+plex86 configuration which demonstrated a
simple "cycle-burn" user program, which clocked out at 90% of native (host) speed.   That's
not intended to be a valid benchmark, but more to get an idea of the upper watermark of
application performance when the OS is quiet, and thus does not require much emulation by
the bochs component.   For more information search the bochs developers email list for
"plex86".