[plug] Wireless Authentication, Routing, Traffic control and Accounting

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Jun 8 08:27:01 WST 2003

    http://www.hpi.net/whitepapers/warta/

    This project came out of my employer's desire to deploy high speed
    wireless internet to an underserved, mostly rural area. Although
    very easy to do on the ground level, I found it to not be a cake
    walk when it came to actually making it a viable network case --
    in a "normally" deployed wireless network it is very easy to spoof
    an IP or MAC address and hop on the network and get free bandwidth.
    This is not acceptable and the acronym WARTA, Wireless
    Authentication, Routing, Traffic control, Accounting was thought
    up to cover the things that we needed to do.

    This document exists to detail one solution to those looking to
    deploy authentication-based, for-profit, tiered network services
    over any Ethernet-based medium that utilizes industry standard
    protocols to tie in with existing OSS resources.

Cheers; Leon