[plug] SCO

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jun 8 11:44:32 WST 2003

Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 01:25, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:35, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>>
>>>More stuff, not directly related to this thread:
>>>	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31086.html
>>
>>>From /. comments, the fact that the amendement was not registered with
>>the US Copyright Office means that even if it's not a fake, it doesn't
>>help SCO with damages at all. It only allows them to block future
>>transgressions - which they have to reveal code in order to do.
>>
>>If it is a fake, of course, then it's all on for young and old, and
>>quite a few people in SCO and their lawyer's office wind up looking
>>through steel bars.
>>
>>Cheers; Leon
>>

> I'm wondering if it is real how long is it going to take Linux
> Developers to rewrite the kernel? Are we all going to migrate?

Not going to happen, at worst some significant global changes might need
to be made if "questionable" code was in the core (ie small amount of
code, big effects). However, core code is least likely to be "borrowed",
because its very specific to the architecture of Linux - as someone
commented (sorry, forgot who) it'd be more work to paste UNIX code in
than write it again. More likely some small VM/disk tweaks or some
filesystem code will turn out to be the issue.

At least, that's what those in the know seem to be saying.

> I had a dream last night that the main Debian project adopted a BSD
> kernel, that was really freaky.

Heh, funny. Not related to the current developements, but:
http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/