[plug] thin client efficiency

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 10 15:03:30 WST 2003

Amusing... from:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/itmanager/technology/story/0,2000029587,20274483,00.htm

"But there are other ways of improving thin-client performance: veteran
terminal vendor Wyse, for example, in January launched Expedian, a
Windows Terminal Server add-on that seeks to improve server performance
by keeping frequently-used application DLLs in memory so they don't have
to be reloaded when many users are running the same applications."

I've been making use of that at work to minimize the memory footprint of
OO.o and Mozilla on our thin client server. It's funny because that's
the default, automatic behaviour under linux - load the executable once,
share the read-only memory image across all instances. Same for most
UNIXes I think. Aah, the little bonuses you get in a free OS - "what,
you have to /pay/ for that usually?!?".

Craig