[plug] Craig's uplinks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 10 16:49:53 WST 2003

>>There are no
>>affordable alternatives to ADSL available that I'm aware of -
>>requirements being always-on and preferably no incoming data charge.
>
> What's stopping you from just using DSL? And where are you located?

Subiaco, the ADSL Exchange of Doom.

The POST does use DSL, but trust me, its not pretty when some
lobotomized yr10 dropout at Telstra trips over the DSLAM power cable and
can't find it again for 8 hours. Or whatever - there's more downtime
than I ever like to deal with, at least on our present service (iiNet
via Telstra's Subiaco exchange).

A backup is sorely needed, since one of these days it'll go down at a
truly critical time, and not come up again until after dealine. 56k just
doesn't cut it - that's why we have ADSL.... an issue the ISPs don't
seem to understand when I ask about multilink etc. "but you /have/ a
backup..."

It looks like things are nicely arranged right now so that business
customers must pay for ISDN if they want reliability. And Telstra likes
/lots/ of money for business ISDN, especially if you need to go above 128k.

Craig