[plug] Bugbear/B (Kai/Ben)

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Jun 10 20:08:59 WST 2003

Leon Brooks wrote:

>It's not fair to blame the user. The user shouldn't have to know.

One thing that annoys me is that around computers some people seem to
just totally lose all sense of common sense and reality.

People manage to setup stereo systems, VCRs, DVD players and even
operate camcorders, but put them in front of  a computer and they
suddenly assume that its going to be some overly complicated system that
they'll need a degree in to be able to turn it on.  Personally I'd be
happier if a lot more people actually used common sense for a change
around computers.

One thing to consider that if Linux became the dominant desktop
operating system, do you think there wouldn't be any viruses roaming
around?  Hell yes there would be.  Sure, some Linux user executing a
virus is going to be limited somewhat in the damage that can be caused.
But what parts of the virus typical of most Windows viruses would still
be effective?  Well they could easily utilise either SMTP servers
configured for the user to have access to, or launch their own and mass
spam any email addresses it may find with more copies of itself. Sure
the system files might not be damaged, but when its all said and done,
the system files are NOT important (unless its a server), because they
can be replaced.

But if a virus trashes someone's data, that is a BIG problem.  What if
that user was working on a $100K proposal etc?  For a business,
computers are simply tools for getting work done, the data stored within
them is more valuable than the equipment itself.

Sure, currently exploiting holes and bugs in software is an easy way to
spread viruses.  But there would still be viruses being released, except
they'd probably work by social engineering to get people to run them.
Same as that "jdbgmgr.exe" hoax that went around, totally reliant on
social engineering, it was pretty effective.  I still see that one crop
up on a regular basis.  At least most of the users here are clued up
enough now to just forward anything like that to myself for checking
out. <http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/hoaxes/jdb.xml>

BTW, I'm in no way being an apologist for Microsoft here.  They make
commercial software which the vast majority of the market uses, which
they charge large amounts of money for and they still can't release a
piece of software that doesn't need patching every other week minimum.

/ Ben