[plug] Did SCO Violate the GPL?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Jun 11 09:33:33 WST 2003

echo -e "2 cat\n1 pigeon\n3 pigeon" | sort

    The source, who has seen both the Unix System V source code and
    the Linux source code and who assisted with a SCO project to
    bring the two kernels closer together, [...] "During that project
    we often came across sections of code that looked very similar,
    in fact we wondered why even variable names were identical. It
    looked very much like both codes had the same origin, but that
    was good as the implementation of 95 percent of all Linux system
    calls on the Unix kernel turned out to be literally 'one-liners'"

    Only a handful of system calls-socketcall, ipc and clone-were
    fairly difficult to implement as they involved the obvious
    differentiators between Linux and Unix: networking, inter-process
    communication and kernel threads

Cheers; Leon