DOV ISDN Was Re: [plug] Another network question (IP Aliasing)

Rob Davies rob at ftp.rjdarts.com
Wed Jun 11 10:15:41 WST 2003

At 08:41 am Wednesday 11 0603, you wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:00, Rob Davies wrote:
> > All phone lines in residence will be reduced to two lines one data
> > always(DoV) when switching in dual channel (128k) you will lose all
> > house phone connections to data. Unless Telstra  allow a third line
> > without losing on Ramp Home, not sure about this one, let us know
> > outcome though I would love a third line, bastards said no.
>
>Not official policy. Officially, they will refuse to add an ORHH to a
>house which already has four or more lines. This means that in theory
>you can have three analog lines and split one to get two analog plus
>two digital.

Hi Leon,

Know were I could find a copy of this policy, just got off phone enquiring
about an extra line, basically answer was NO at moment.

Something about we have a residential account and services to our residence
are of a sufficient nature any more lines into residence would push the
ORHH into a business scenario, but we can drop the ORHH and have three or
four analog lines, none of which can be converted to ORHH. This at moment
is under review and in near future Telstra will be announcing some changes
to these accounts particularly for persons and businesses in areas that
cannot receive a Broadband connection namely ADSL or Cable. This leaves
door open as they could force Satellite onto customer as a broadband
alternative, but really Telstra do not want to let go of cash cow that is ISDN.

> > The router at the other end has to have DoV capabilities for it to
> > work which means a ISDN connection at office. [...] But I am not sure
> > how traffic works as modem at office end would assume it is a non
> > data call, but all business ISDN is charged?
>
>All business ISDN _calls_ are charged, but you are not making a business
>ISDN call, you're making a home call, the business is only recieving
>it.

Thought it was something like that this morning while reading it, too late
when answered emails last night. Should of gone to bed.

> > Check with Arachnet and Westnet as they supply DoV.
>
>So do iiNet but they charge extra. Don't know about WestNet, ArachNet
>charge DoV at same rate as analogue modem calls (you can get an
>unlimited-in-all-directions account for sixty or seventy dollars a
>month)

Check iiNet as they use to be only 56k instead of full 64k per channel as
was Eftel. Also be wary on connecting that it is DoV, Arachnet have
dedicated lines if you are not in DoV mode no connection, not sure about
Westnet. Also if you require 128 a multilink account with Arachnet is
required about 30 a month on top of other charge, Westnet use to be two
accounts of same standard?

ciao
Rob Davies