[plug] re: RAID5 & Hot Spares

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Thu Jun 12 13:33:21 WST 2003

Thanks Patrick.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 13:24, Jon Miller wrote:
> Sorry, there is a RAID controller card (ServerRaid-5i (IBM). The reason the question was asked was to find out if there are any issues in using raid5  in an Linux environment as well as if there were going to be any issues in Linux's ability to handle the changes if a hot spare was used.  Yes, the purpose of the raid is redundancy, also what must be taken into account is the load. This issue is handled by the processor(s) and memory.  Since this server is being used as a corporate database server serving information to 13 sites throughout Australia and Tasmania.  This seemed to be a viable solution.

ahh.. then no it wont be an issue. linux will see the raid array as one
disk. I know when I installed on some dell servers I needed some
specific rpms to monitor the raid status. other than that it was all
hunky dory.

cheers
--
Patrick Tehvand