[plug] Multimedia users

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 15 18:47:19 WST 2003

Hi pluggers,

Just a little problem I have been having that I was hoping that someone
could help me with.
When a normal user loggs on a whole bunch of /dev/[multimedia devices] get
there owner changed from root to the user that logged in while leaving the
group as root. Different users subsequently logging in does not change this.
But when the first user logs out  the /dev/ entries go back to normal until
another user subsequently logs in. I think this is a locking mechanism to
make sure that only one user at a time has access to multimedia devices.
What I would like to know is if there is a way to change which user gets
control of these devices without having to log off/on in the necessary
sequence.  Or in other words how can root change on the fly which user gets
control of these devices independant of their logon order.
This has been a problem as only the user who has control of these devices in
/dev/ or root can play music as far as I can see, all others get a

audio: Permission denied

message.

I got RH9

Hoping someone can help.