[plug] Writing a language?

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Jun 16 16:46:03 WST 2003

Simon Scott wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in writing languages?
>
> I need to construct a fairly minimal language for a project, but need a nudge
> to get started (it keeps falling into the 'too hard basket').

I have done it.
Mine is a simple control language with simple flow control and maths.

Line number based.
Designed to be easy to program from a book, for people not really that
into computer programming.
Sorta basic'ish.

The interpreter is written in Pascal, and runs to about 1427 lines of
source.
I'm also building a cut down version in C to run on an 8051 and a HC11.

It was something I wanted to do for years, and finally got around to it
a couple of years ago. Has been a very fun project. Especially when you
see a building that is being controled by your very own Frankenstien :p)

--
Brad....
  /"\